Saturday, May 7, 2011

Salsa, with anchos

Today, Oscar and I made our first attempt at making salsa using dried chiles.



Our recipe (loosely based on several recipes that came up in google):

De-seed two ancho chiles and tear into small bits. Chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and an onion; sautee. Add two tomatos, cook 10 min. Add 2 c water, simmer 20 min.


Add a little more than 2 tbsp oregano from the plant (thanks, mom!). Cook a minute or two, then blend lightly. Add a small handful of fresh cilantro.



The final product is sweet and a little smoky, kind of like something Rick Bayless would make. We like our salsas spicier, so we are discussing keeping more seeds and adding a habañero, jalapeño, or chipotle next time.

4 comments:

  1. It looks so good. Most definitely leave more seeds next time. Did you add salt? I would also consider soaking the chiles in warm water for about 20 min. before you de seed. By the way, I love the cookware. Is that cast iron. Can we say fritatta? I like the bowl too. Take care;keep on cooking.
    Thelma Trejo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thelma-
    There is a teaspoon of salt and black pepper, I guess I forgot about those. We'll try soaking the chiles next time. Does it make it spicer?
    The cookware is cast iron--I like cooking on it more than on teflon, there are some health concerns about using teflon. Thanks for the tips! -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will give you the recipe from Mrs. ---- your third grade teacher. You made salsa in class for Cinco de Mayo. You liked the recipe so much she wrote out a copy with detailed instructions. I have it in the recipe box along side the day report from pre-school (which says, "Caitlin didn't want to cooperate today." and has a banana bread recipe on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually should have said pop out the seeds before soaking. Makes for a smoother texture and ease of cooking.

    ReplyDelete