Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fancy brunch

On weekends when we have time, we love to cook a fancy, more complicated brunch at home. This week we made a really great skillet, so I thought I'd share. We try to use ingredients from the fridge, so we have fun cooking together and we save a ton of money, compared to going out for brunch. Brunch around here can easily cost $50. Ouch.


We chopped up some potatoes into cubes, seasoned them, and cooked them. Oscar chopped up some bacon. When the bacon was almost done frying, we dumped chopped veggies into the bacon and cooked them until they were tender.

I had tomatoes, onion, mushroom, and green pepper in the fridge, so into the pan they went!
When the veggies were getting tender, I poached some eggs. We put the potatoes on a plate, added the veggies and bacon, then topped it with the poached eggs. I'm getting better at poaching eggs (translation: I bought a candy thermometer and it's been useful for other things, e.g. poaching eggs), and these turned out perfect. The warm, runny yokes made the dish.

Here's our final dish, ready to eat.
Just add coffee, and we've got ourselves a great brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment